25 Things My First 25 Years Taught Me
Seriously y’all, I don’t know where the time is going. I swear I JUST celebrated my 25th birthday and here we are again, somehow??? It’s been quite the year. This has been the most significant year of my life and I truly made myself a priority for the first time ever. I actually said “no” to doing things I didn’t want to do, I cut people off, I spoke my mind, I advocated for myself, and it SHOWS! But I also struggled. School nearly sucked the life out of me. I struggled financially, I questioned my career path, and I felt very lost. My parents divorced and I’m still dealing with the effect that’s had on my life. However, I can say that this year forced me to do a lot of reflection on my life so far and the lessons it’s taught me. So I figured that it only makes sense to share them with y’all for my birthday. Below are 25 things my first 25 years taught me:
- You are in control of your own life.
- However, there are certain things that are out of your control. Be able to recognize the difference.
- Not everything is meant for you to understand.
- Everybody won’t like you, and that’s okay.
- Standards are not only meant for romantic partners, they are needed for friends and family as well.
- Nobody is going to save you, you have to save yourself.
- Sometimes things need to fall apart for them to come together.
- Live with intention everyday.
- Most of what people say and do have everything to do with them and nothing to do with you.
- But sometimes it is you and some self-reflection and self-awareness is necessary.
- Life is all about timing. Things may not happen when you want them to, they happen when they should.
- The real “L” is when you fail to learn the lesson the experience was trying to teach you.
- Life waits for no one and it’s moving fast as hell. Make the most out of every single day.
- You don’t have to stick to the status quo, live life on your terms.
- Mind your business.
- No, you can’t fix that person.
- Some people will project their own insecurities and beliefs onto your hopes and dreams. Don’t listen to them.
- Your gut is ALWAYS right. Always.
- Everybody can’t have a seat at your table. Be selective.
- Your life is happening exactly as it should. There are no coincidences.
- What happened to you as a child is not your fault but it is your responsibility as an adult to heal yourself.
- Everyone is going through something.
- Be kind but take no shit.
- Exercise is a necessity.
- Don’t take life too seriously. Know when to let up and have fun.
One quarter down, (God willing) another quarter to go. Year 26, you’re up! Let’s do this.
So, did I preach or did I preach?! Let me know what you thought about my list. Also, I would love to hear about the lessons life has taught you thus far. Drop some gems in the comments below. Okay, I’m done being wise for the day, it’s time to turn up!! I’ll talk to y’all when I’ve recovered, LOL.
The Life Therapist
Photo by: https://www.davesliberations.com/